Saturday 1 October 2016

Blog Post #5: Practical Consolidation of Language and Identity


01/10/2016

In this blog post, I have chosen one out of three options to write about which is to write a practical text. This choice is about "A new student is moving to Raha from a homogenous monolingual community. This student has never been abroad or lived in a multilingual setting. You have been chosen to write her a formal letter to explain the important relationship between language, culture, and identity." I chose to write about this certain topic because before I came here I was in a homogenous monolingual community so this letter is almost a letter to myself before my exposure to Abu Dhabi. 

Practical:

Villa 3, 15th Street,
Khalifa City A, Abu Dhabi
1st October 2016
Jane Doe,
3rd Steven Street, GoldCoast,
Queensland, Australia 

Dear Jane Doe, 

Good afternoon, Jane Doe, my name is Karma Thomas and I'm a representative of grade 11 who would like to welcome you to the school and the country. They have provided me with some information about you and how you have not travelled or moved anywhere outside Australia. So, let me begin by saying a lot is about to change and you are about to experience a lot that is completely unknown to you. However, in saying this I would like to assure you that there is no reason to be scared or worried because this exposure and transition will allow to you to grow in ways you would have never imagined. The most noticeable atmosphere change will be the variety of languages and cultures you encounter.

Compared to Australia, this is the biggest difference as in Australia most people speak the same language and share the same culture. These similar factors give everyone the basic identity of being Australian and allows you to easily understand everyone and communicate. However, you must gain the skill of recognising that in an international country everyone speaks a different language and does not share the same culture. This diversity allows everyone to have a separate identity to the person next to them. You must always remember to stay open-minded as each identity comes with their own unique traits that you must be respectful of. A person's language usually is based off their culture or nationality which shapes them as an individual. However, you will learn of those who are bilinguals and speak multiple languages due to certain personal circumstances. These circumstances could be their diverse family, them moving a lot or even them just wanting to learn more languages. It may seem like another skill to know more languages but this knowledge also shapes their identity. Many of  them will even slowly to change your identity as you learn more and more about the people around you. This will change you because your own identity won't just relate to your own culture but those you are exposed to. 

It is important that you remember that everyone is different to you and that everyone is different from Australia because this will allow you to develop and adjust faster. Everyone's culture and language forms their identity as their customs or traditions will be very different to yours or similar. Either way, you must be respectful of these similarities or differences and be intent on learning one's way of life. The relationship of cultures and language determines their identity, think of it as an equation, someone's culture plus someone's language forms the individual you interact with. For someone could share the same culture as many but their language could be different due to family or certain interactions. It's the culture and the language that make the person because values like culture and language can be distorted by certain situational factors and don't always rely on each other. I hope this educates you on what to expect from our school and Abu Dhabi, hopefully, you could find an appreciation for this international environment like I have. 

Sincerely Karma,

11 comments:

  1. This is a well written formal letter that demonstrates a good understanding of the conventions of the text type and topic. Some additional subject specific terminology could have been integrated into your writing- although the challenge is making this sound authentic to your character's voice. Be mindful of grammar syntactical errors when you submit your written task draft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karma !! I really enjoyed reading your blog post, I felt that it was very informative for 'Jane Doe' as I believe that the best way to explain something to someone is from experience, explaining how Australia is different to the international system. I felt that it was a great way to compare the difference to a place that has a similar homogenous monolingual community to and multilingual and cultural community because then 'Jane' can visualise and get a better understanding of what she is about to experience, Great Job !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karma, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this formal letter. Having moved from a homogenous monolingual environment, I definitely agree with your statement "the most noticeable atmosphere change will be the variety of languages and cultures you encounter.". Your structure of your paragraphs were effective which allows the reader to follow intently. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karma,

    I really enjoyed this blog post. I agree with what you said on your blog post, about how your whole life and surroundings around you are going to change. I remember moving from my home country to the united states and it was already a big change for me, but i was too young to fully feel the impact. However, when i moved from the united states to the middle east I truly felt the impact as i left everything i ever knew and moved into a new life. To me, the line that stood out the most was when you were comforting Jane Doe. "However, in saying this I would like to assure you that there is no reason to be scared or worried because this exposure and transition will allow to you to grow in ways you would have never imagined."

    good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading this letter. I loved the structure of your work, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading this letter. I loved the structure of your work, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed reading this letter. I loved the structure of your work, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karma, i really enjoyed reading your post and it also gave me a personal insight on your take on language and culture.The way you structured it, helps me as a reader to understand your flow of thoughts and made me feel like I am the recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karma, I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I think this is the case because you were able to effectively structure your ideas so that it would flow in an organised manner. In addition, I feel like the content that you express throughout this memoir allows the reader to understand the importance of diversity and change for a person. Something that caught my attention is when you state: "You must gain the skill of recognising that in an international country everyone speaks a different language and does not share the same culture." Not only does this teach Jane Doe what she will expect but also it portrays how diversity allows everyone to have a individual identity. Overall, I am very impressed with this blog and looking forward for your future blogposts. Well Done Karma!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Karma,

    I really liked reading this blog post because this was a challenging choice to do and you completely nailed it. The letter is well written with proper format and also you mentioned culture, language and identity which are really important when changing from a society where you are not exposed to any diversity.

    Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete