Sunday 4 September 2016

Blog Post #1: All about me!


04/09/2016 (I did not mean for this to be a long post, I'm sorry)

For our very first blog post as Language & Literature students in the DP, we have been asked to discuss a little bit about ourselves and our ambitions.  My name is Karma Thomas, I'm from Australia but have been living in this desert we call Abu Dhabi for about 7 years. Currently, I'm studying in grade 11 in Raha International School. Now it's time to inform you of my interests, this is always the hard part for me because I love so much, hate so much but I'm also up for nearly everything. I enjoy being active and will do or at least try most sports while refusing to do basketball and soccer. In saying this I do have some passions interests in specific physical recreational activities. If the weather is right I will go running any day and love hiking, I swim any chance that I get, adore volleyball and attempt to do yoga every day or every second day. However, I must warn you I'm incredibly clumsy and sports tend to put that on display. As for the rest of my interests, some are normal and others are a bit more quirky. I enjoy going out with friends and playing video games on occasion like most teens do, but I'm mostly entrapped within Art. Art is by far my favourite subject, it is probably the one I could go on reading articles for hours on end. Not saying I can't do this with my other subjects but I enjoy it most with Art. While explaining this I must say I'm not the best artist out there, I have a lot of work to do for my art even to be considered good. My biggest problem is that I tend to leave myself with no time to practice as I'm either doing work, going out or spending time with family. I know right, sounds like an exciting life. When I do get time to trial I don;t really trial with a piece of pen and paper. My favourite thing to do is to play with special FX and body paints, so much so that I did a whole YouTube channel on it for Personal Project. By the way, when I say I did a whole channel on it I mean I did three videos. I don't continue posting because I simply don't have the time so I just do it and take photos. P.S. I exceeding love music but I don;t create any.

I just realised I wrote so much for the first question so now I'm going to try to keep my answers a little bit more contained. What do you care about? Now, this question is unreasonably difficult for me to answer. I could say I care about my family which I do, I care about my family incredibly but that makes it seem like they are superior to everything else. They are not though because I care about everything in a way, I care for my friends, I care for school, and care for music. I have a preposterous love for food, it may not look like it but I'm a human hoover with food, just ask my friends. However, out of all these, I think I care for the happiness of others the most, the people that know me well can agree the happiness of people around me come first. I will go out of my way to make someone happy even if I'm not fond of them because everyone deserves to be happy. My dreams for this year are to simply study and work hard so that next year isn't as hard as it could be. As for the future if I had it my way I would get a beach house with a studio and experiment with every form of Art that I could then sell it. Sadly, life doesn't work like that.

Language is unbelievably important, I'm not speaking about English specifically but all languages. Each language allows us to communicate with each other, not only English, Spanish, French or Arabic but Maths, Music and Art. These things all stripped to their basic forms give us the right to understand one another, this is probably the hardest thing to realise as a person growing up. Language should not be used to offend or judge each other but to understand. We simply use these words to carry ourselves, give them an insight of who we are. This insight grants us friends, education, jobs and relationship that would be difficult without it. It is all reasons make it important for us to learn a language, doesn't matter what type, but to learn it we learn to communicate and grow together, I have never experienced a language barrier, and I can say I'm blessed to never have had to. The idea terrifies me, being stuck in a place where you can't communicate with anyone sends shivers down my spine. This is why I respect language.


Mr Micheal said upload a photo that represents you. TO BE HONEST, I literally don't know what photo could represent me so here is a body artwork thing I did last week. It sort of represents me.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Karma ! I totally agree with your statement "Each language allows us to communicate with each other, not only English, Spanish, French or Arabic but Maths, Music and Art." because you don't have to use language to communicate, you can use language as express emotion or certain feelings. I love that your dream is to own a studio on the beach, that's such a calm place to think and develop ideas. You seem to be very motivated and determined to trying to new things and I hope your dream of owned the beach studio becomes reality, you never know it might possibly work the way you wish it to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karma. It was interesting to learn about your personal interests. A passion for visual art can be very useful in this class as we will examine how we communicate with visual language in addition to written language. Your comments about the importance of language were sincere and profound. Your response was a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Karma! I enjoyed reading this blogpost as a close friend of yours as it gave me the opportunity to make connections between how others see you and how you see yourself. I love reading about your interests in art and languages as it is very prominent in your personality as well as your forms of expression, including writing. I have become well acquainted with your style of writing through years of being on and off classmates. I have seen a lot of improvements in your writing over time and I'm sure you will become an even better writer than you already are through the exposure we'll be facing within this Language and Literature course. Wish you the best of luck and thank you for motivating me to become a better writer myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karma. I was really eager to read your response because we have very similar character traits (as you will know). Anyways, it's just fascinating on how much you love Art which I think best reflects your personality. This post informed me more about your interests and what your planning for the future. You are pretty much focused and motivated in every way possible. All the best with your success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karma
    i really enjoyed reading your first blog post and i cannot say how much i agree to the scary idea of not being able to communicate. i love how you both portray but also perceive language as a much deeper concept than letters stuck together to mean one thing. I also completely agree with you on the other languages that aren't spoken such as music art dancing and maths even though there are many more i believe you really understand in depth what language means to one another and to you as an individual. i think your body art work does portray you the best as well as having yourself in the actual picture. All the best!

    ReplyDelete