Monday 12 September 2016

Blog Post #2: Cultural Markers


12/09/2016

For our second post, we were asked to "choose a cultural marker that you feel is misunderstood or unknown to those outside your cultural group and write an explanatory post." I find this quite difficult as I identify myself within the Australian culture, more specifically as a Sunshine Coast Australian. If I were to discuss the cultural markers; language, law, customs, myths, texts, or daily practices, there are none that really stick out as being misunderstood in my mind. Being a part of the Sunny coast Australian culture does have quite a few cultural markers but there is none present in others people's mind that particularly make me feel offended or misunderstood. In Australia, if I were to say I was a part of the Aboriginal culture then I would have a lot more to discuss as some may believe their customs and practices are barbaric or pathetic however this is due to extreme racism still presented in Australia. I can't discuss being a part of this natural culture that exists because I simply do not have any family from it and do not relate to any of their cultural markers. This is not because I disapprove of them but due to my whole family tree having to Aboriginal ancestry and customs.

So what do I talk about? Well, instead of debating cultural markers that are majorly misunderstood I will enlighten you on one that tend to be unknown or overlooked. The first cultural marker could be counted as being a part of our daily practices or customs, and it is the food in Australia or the Sunny Coast. Food of Australia tends to be quite looked over by foreigners and even myself sometimes, I only ever realise how important it is to me until I go back binge for a month on it then go into withdrawal when I come back to Abu Dhabi. Some may think we have a basic form of cuisine compared to more exotic places, but there is still a certain element of our western meals that provide us with a natural satisfaction. Many of these are simply products that become necessary to Aussies life to the point were I become deprived anytime I come back. I know for a fact each and every time I visit Australia there are specific products I crave as soon as I touch Australian soil. There is nothing that pleases me more than eating mint slices, crunchies, shapes, pavlova, lamingtons or a ginger beer for the first time in what seems like an eternity. Then, don't even get me started on kebabs, these are not like middle eastern kebabs but they are Australian doner kebabs which are heavenly. I appreciate all these things and more when I get there simply because I can't have them while I'm here. Some are so prominent in an Australian's daily routine for an Aussie tradesman I ice cold icebreaker and a Beefy's pie is the only way to start the day.

I honestly don't know if people understanding this cultural marker could improve communication in a serious manner. However, I feel like the sharing of food between people is like sharing cultures, it's a way to make people slightly more open-minded. It allows ease in conversation when discussing different customs or cultures while educating people. Most should enjoy food so it's a way to become closer with on another especially when sharing something from your own culture, everyone just has to be respectful during this distribution. That's why I love coming back with piles of Sunny coast food, it allows me to show them the things I love and hate that are dear to me. This ritual also is a symbol for how much you care for the person as it brings you and them joy by expressing these lesser known things about yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment